Thursday, February 24, 2011

Our Mrs. Parker

They ask; we answer (as best we can):
Thank you for contacting the Robert Benchley Society.

I tracked down the original of the quotation asked about; it's from "Our Mrs. Parker" from While Rome Burns, by Alexander Woollcott

"I pointed out celebrities in the manner of a barker on a Chinatown bus. Young Bill seemed especially interested in the seamy lineaments of a fellow Harvard man named Robert Benchley... Seated beside him was a little and extraordinarily pretty woman with dark hair, a gentle, apologetic smile, and great reproachful eyes. 'And that, I suppose,' said the lad from Emporia, 'would be Mrs. Benchley.' 'So I have always understood,' I replied crossly, 'but it is Mrs. Parker.'"

No comments:

Robert Benchley Society

For more information about the Robert Benchley Society, local chapters near you, our annual Award for Humor, and our Annual Gathering, visit The RBS Website